05/20/26 12:19:00
Printable Page
05/20 12:17 CDT Congo cancels 3-day World Cup training camp and fan farewell in
Kinshasa over Ebola fears
Congo cancels 3-day World Cup training camp and fan farewell in Kinshasa over
Ebola fears
By CIARAN FAHEY
AP Sports Writer
Congo's soccer team has canceled a three-day World Cup preparation training
camp and a planned farewell to fans in the capital Kinshasa because of an
outbreak of Ebola in the east of the country.
Preparations will take place elsewhere after an outbreak of a rare type of
Ebola known as Bundibugyo, which is thought to have killed more than 130 people
and caused nearly 600 suspected cases.
The World Health Organization has declared it a public health emergency of
international concern.
Congo is scheduled to play World Cup-warmup games against Denmark in Liege,
Belgium on June 3 and Chile in southern Spain on June 9. Both matches are going
ahead as planned, team spokesman Jerry Kalemo told The Associated Press on
Wednesday.
"There were three stages of preparation: in Kinshasa to say goodbye to the
public, Belgium and Spain with two friendly matches against Denmark in Liege
and Chile in Spain, and the third stage from June 11 in Houston, United States.
Only one stage was canceled -- the one in Kinshasa," Kalemo said.
All of the Congo players and the team's French coach, Sbastien Desabre, are
based outside of the central African country with most of them playing in
France.
Some team staff who are based in Congo "are leaving in the next hours," Kalemo
said.
Soccer's governing body FIFA issued a statement that "it is aware of and
monitoring the situation regarding an Ebola outbreak and is in close
communication with the Congo DR Football Association to ensure that the team
are made aware of all medical and security guidance.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said this week that the U.S.
would ban entry of all foreign nationals who had been in Congo, Uganda and
South Sudan within the past three weeks. The ban lasts for 30 days.
A U.S. official said the Congolese World Cup team would not be affected by the
CDC entry ban because it had been training in Europe for the past several
weeks. That means team members, coaches and other officials who have not
returned to Congo in the past three weeks would not be subject to the entry
ban, according to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the
policy has not been publicly announced.
Those members of the Congolese World Cup delegation who did return to Congo
during the 21-day period will be subject to the same quarantine requirements as
U.S. citizens seeking to return from affected countries, according to the
official. That exception will not apply to Congolese fans who want to attend
the World Cup, the official said.
The White House World Cup task force, housed under the Department of Homeland
Security, stressed that it is "coordinating closely" with various agencies on
health and security matters and that the government is "closely monitoring" the
outbreak.
Congo, which qualified for the World Cup after winning a playoff tournament in
Mexico, has been drawn in Group K. It faces Portugal for its opening game in
Houston on June 17.
The Leopards then face Colombia in Guadalajara on June 23 before playing
Uzbekistan in Atlanta for their final group game on June 27.
Congo's first World Cup qualification since 1974, when it was called Zaire,
sparked scenes of jubilation across the nation, which has been battered by
decades of conflict.
___ Associated Press writers Matt Lee and Seung Min Kim in Washington
contributed to this report.
___
AP World Cup coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/fifa-world-cup
|